One thing she got from daddy...
There are tales of lore about Grady's smelly feet. Theresa, Dave, Sam and Gill have all, at one time or another, relayed stories about the funkiness of my husband's feet. Even Grady admits to a rough summer with a pair of Teva's. I thought this may have been a teenage phase because I had never noticed his feet to be any more funky in the smell department than the average Joe. (He does have toenail issues, but that is a tale for another day!) Since I have known him, he has worn Birkenstocks casually and your basic work shoe with a sock. Both seem to be nose-friendly; cork and socks don't seem to funkify his tootsies!
He retired his Birks (perhaps temporarily!) a few weeks ago. They aren't cheap shoes...roughly $100 a pop...and apparently Birkenstock is trying to take a cost leadership position and in an effort to reduce expenses has decided the sole of the shoe should now be made of a substance similar to the common Marshmallow. In the most recent pair of sandals, he wore them exactly 1 month before the sole was ground to nothing on the left foot. We have had that pair of shoes resoled every couple of months for the last year. At $30 a pop with an estimated resoling of 4-5 times...that puts this pair of SANDALS at well over $200. You all know me. I am a cheap-ass. No one I know needs to be spending $200 on sandals to be worn mowing the yard or walking the dogs!
Back to the story...we say goodbye to the Birks...and into our lives comes a new casual sandal. I won't even begin to tell you how long it took to find a suitable replacement for the Birks. YOUR WELCOME! Chacos, a shoe similar, but superior (in Grady's opinion), to the Teva. Basically a rubber sole attaches with some sturdy straps...Voila! $90. But, they are supposed to last forever. And no resoling, so this seems like a better investment. Except, that the smell is back. The smell that I had never experienced...except that I had! My little brother had a rough couple of feet years growing up, so I knew the smell all to well.
And to make it even worse: Everyone says Lia looks like me. She does favor me in many ways. But, she has her daddy's feet. They smell. Like vinegar. And I fear she will have the same toenail issues! OH THE HORROR!
I cannot afford to have two members of my family in the only shoe that does not create a pungent aroma. We will be going barefoot from now on.
He retired his Birks (perhaps temporarily!) a few weeks ago. They aren't cheap shoes...roughly $100 a pop...and apparently Birkenstock is trying to take a cost leadership position and in an effort to reduce expenses has decided the sole of the shoe should now be made of a substance similar to the common Marshmallow. In the most recent pair of sandals, he wore them exactly 1 month before the sole was ground to nothing on the left foot. We have had that pair of shoes resoled every couple of months for the last year. At $30 a pop with an estimated resoling of 4-5 times...that puts this pair of SANDALS at well over $200. You all know me. I am a cheap-ass. No one I know needs to be spending $200 on sandals to be worn mowing the yard or walking the dogs!
Back to the story...we say goodbye to the Birks...and into our lives comes a new casual sandal. I won't even begin to tell you how long it took to find a suitable replacement for the Birks. YOUR WELCOME! Chacos, a shoe similar, but superior (in Grady's opinion), to the Teva. Basically a rubber sole attaches with some sturdy straps...Voila! $90. But, they are supposed to last forever. And no resoling, so this seems like a better investment. Except, that the smell is back. The smell that I had never experienced...except that I had! My little brother had a rough couple of feet years growing up, so I knew the smell all to well.
And to make it even worse: Everyone says Lia looks like me. She does favor me in many ways. But, she has her daddy's feet. They smell. Like vinegar. And I fear she will have the same toenail issues! OH THE HORROR!
I cannot afford to have two members of my family in the only shoe that does not create a pungent aroma. We will be going barefoot from now on.

2 Comments:
This is libel. It wasn't my fault, it was the shoes. The Nike 360 (aka Barkleys) gave me and every other purchaser the same exact awful fertilizer smell. I suspect these Chacos (and Lia's shoes) are made of the same space-age polymer.
By
Phil, at 10:44 PM
This is Toast's mother speaking... I do remember a closet full of smelly shoes! But Toast was still a very lovable kid! Lia and Grady are also lovable, though I have to admit that nice smells are better than stinky ones. Speaking of closets, I also remember one time (about Toast's ninth grade, we'd just moved to the current home), and I opened his closet door to find a mother mouse with a nest full of babies still with eyes closed! THEY must have liked the smell...
By
Anonymous, at 8:12 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home