Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Battle Wounds lead to Super Heroes

We had our first "real" injury yesterday. Lia got into a brawl with an art cart. She was sitting backwards on a chair at school and tipped over hitting her face on the cart. I can honestly say that seeing your child bleeding and screaming in pain is more painful than any injury that I have personally suffered. Luckily, the accident happened about 3 minutes before I arrived, so most of the bleeding was stopped, but I was there to comfort her crying.

We hopped in the car and took off for the Urgent Care. By the time we arrived, Lia had stopped crying and was pretty calm. We went in and saw a doctor almost immediately...gotta love an Urgent Care at 2 in the afternoon! The doctor (who had to be roughly my age...which was unnerving in and of itself...when the hell did I get so old?) inspected the wound and determined that we would need stitches. The nurse talked to me about how hard it can be to give children stitches. Two other doctors came in to warn me that they may have to hold her down and that it would all be for the best, but it would be very hard to witness. They drenched a swab in Lidocaine and tried to deaden the area.

What happened next is truly amazing!

Dum da da da dummmmmm....in flew SUPER LIA. Stronger than an ox, braver than a lion, and of course cuter than anything you have ever seen! The older doctor pulled out the needle and pulled up to give her the shot. She sat on my lap as I held her head and arms. The nurse stood ready to assist me. The young doctor was ready to grab her legs. He gave the shot in several spots around the gash. She had a momentary quiver of the lip, but never let out a whimper. I, of course, had tears streaming down my face. The doctors kept saying "This is amazing!!!" "I have never seen a child act so calm!" "Grown adults scream like babies!" Then the young doctor gave her 4 stitches. Never a peep. The nurse exclaimed, "She is a Super Hero!" Every nurse and doctor in the building walked by to see how it was possible that a two-year old was getting stitches without a SINGLE tear. And of course, they all commented on how adorable she was!

She is my Super Lia!

1 Comments:

  • Nice to see your new posts! :) And way to be strong, Lia!

    By Blogger Matty G, at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home